1. North Sea Fish Restaurant : 7-8 Leigh Street
Traditional fish and chips. Has both a sit down restaurant and a separate take away.
2. Andrew Edmunds : 46 Lexington Street (020 7437 5708)
Small and intimate serving mixed English/European menu that changes daily. Booking is advised.
3. The Newman Arms : 23 Rathbone Street
A pub with food upstairs which arguably serves the best British Pies in London.
4. Norfolk Arms : 28 Leigh Street.
5. Lindsay House : 21 Romilly Street
6. Cafe Rio: 66 Grafton Way
authentic Brazilian food and a very relaxed atmosphere. It can be
difficult to accommodate bigger parties depending on the time.
Japanese : Sushi / Noodles
7. Wagamama : 4 Streatham St ; also 10 Lexington Street (Soho)
Generous portions of udon, soba & rice noodles come in soups or stir-fries, along with a number of rice dishes & salads, plus sides of steamed dumplings & chicken yakitori skewers.
8. Niko Niko 19 Percy Street.
Sushi with private Karaoke rooms downstairs.
9. Satsuma : 56 Wardour Street
Fine tangerine decor sponsored by Blackpool FC. Sushi and Noodles in the heart of Soho. Handy stop off when on the Soho pub trail.
10. Kikuchi - 14 Hanway Street
Sushi. Unpretentious and authentic.
11. Thai Metro : 36 Charlotte Street.
Also good for lunch.
12. Busabi : 22 Store Street and 100 Wardour Street (Soho)
Another Alan Yau classic - The Thai calamari is a gem. Best if there are not so many of you since seating is done ad-hoc on large shared square tables holding 16.
Italian / Pizza /Seafood
13. Pizza Express : 93 Euston Road & 7 Charlotte Street & 10 Dean Street
A chain but very good pizzas - especially the new Pinglestone. The Dean Street restaurant doubles as a Jazz Bar.
14. Ask : 48 Grafton Way
Very close to UCL : standard Pizza/Pasta chain but reasonably priced for central London and also a good lunch choice.
15. Sardo : 45 Grafton Way
A warm informal, family-run Sardinian restaurant with a strong seafood representation. The house specialities are spaghetti alla bottarga, salsiccia sarda & grilled steak topped with Sardinian blue cheese.
16. Spiga : 84 Wardour Street
Fine Pizza and pasta in the heart of Soho.
17. Zilli Fish : 36 Brewer Street
Aldo Zilli made his reputation with cookbooks and for going out on drinking benders with Paul-Gazza-Gasgoigne and Chris Evans in the late 1990s but he's since calmed down.
18. Pescatori Fish & Seafood Restaurant : 57 Charlotte Street
Plenty of room for bigger parties.
There are at least 10 Indian restaurants on Drummond Street but there's also a healthy supply elsewhere.
18. The Agra : 135-137 Whitfield Street
19. Diwana Bel Poori : 121 Drummond Street
Inexpensive South Indian Vegetarian.
20. Sagar : 17 Percy Street
Modern Indian Vegetarian close to UCL.
124 Drummond Street
Inexpensive Vegetarian restaurant. Has an excellent
22. Anwar: 64 Grafton Way.
Inexpensive restaurant and take away. Has a lunch buffet.
22. Ragam : 57 Cleveland StreetDon't be put off by the decor/frontage : this is pemier league South Indian cuisine/Dosai. Impervious to the march of the high-street tandoori and the trend for posh Indians serving meat miscellaneous in all-purpose curry sauce. Unchanged in 30 years with 1970s prices to match : a bargain.>
23. Palms of Goa : 12 Charlotte Street and 4 Meard Street (Soho)
South Goanese dishes.
24. Rasa Samudra : 5 Charlotte Street
Specialises in seafood and vegetarian dishes from
Spanish25. Camino: 3 Varnishers Yard, Regents Quarter, Kings Cross
Trendy Spanish restaurant and tapas bar.